On 20.03.2017 23:23, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On 20 March 2017 at 22:04, Florian Schmaus <f...@geekplace.eu> wrote:
>> On 20.03.2017 22:32, Dave Cridland wrote:
>>> Loosely, this is OK, but, in order:
>>>
>>> 1) Section 6 must go. I don't believe that the XSF has the required
>>> expertise to adequately review a SASL mechanism. I'm saying this
>>> without commenting on the mechanism described in Section 6. This needs
>>> to go through the IETF (this document can reference any particular
>>> SASL mechanism for MTI it likes, including this one). The right
>>> working group is - probably - Kitten, though traditionally XMPP itself
>>> works through the ART area, and we might want to give an ART AD or two
>>> a heads-up. This issue is a blocker for me.
>>
>> Section 6. was written in mind being probably factored out. So I'm happy
>> to bring this to the IETF. Anyone who wants to shepherd me?
>
> I'm confident we can find a shepherd, but I can do that if we need
> one. (Assuming you actually do mean a Document Shepherd).

Shepherding in no particular sense, so not strictly limited to a
document shepherd (but that would be also very appreciated).

> Incidentally, I think a token-based SASL mechanism might be generally
> useful; Surevine could use one if it existed, certainly. It's useful
> to have a device-specific token which can then be managed and/or
> revoked, independent of ISR - this implies a multiple-use token rather
> than a single-use one, however. I have a vague feeling that something
> based around a fusion of HOTP and YAP might yield something that
> satisfies this. If you're open to the idea, I'll outline a quick
> design.

Well, I do think that X-HT-* does already everything required for ISR
and for a generic token-based SASl mechanism. The only thing missing for
an official IETF SASL mech is probably support for auth(c|z)id, which is
trivial to add.

I looked into Kurt's YAP as SASL mech for ISR, as you know. And compared
to X-HT-*, it is missing the mutual authentication part, which I
consider very important for the X-HT-*'s use case. And somehow X-HT-* is
a fusion of HOTP and YAP. But I'm not sure what exactly you mean with
"multiple-use token" and how it fits into the picture. That said, I
think it would be really great if you could do a strawman, elaborate a
bit what you are trying to solve and if prepare yourself for some stupid
follow up questions from my side. :)

>>> 2) I don't think §5.2.3 is right - I don't think ISR should be placing
>>> any requirements on the upper layer. You might think - correctly -
>>> that a server requiring 2FA on a resume is not behaving very sensibly,
>>> but I don't think it's behaving in a way that would cause
>>> interoperability problems.
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I'm confused (maybe it is already to late for me :)). You
>> mean ISR should not allow 2FA on resume? Why not? Care to elaborate what
>> you mean with "placing any requirements on the upper layer"? If ISR is
>> based on SASL2, why shouldn't it also support <continue/> XEP-0388 § 2.6.3?
>
> No, I mean the reverse. §5.2.3 says:
>
> Performing instant stream resumption using multiple SASL mechanisms
> MUST only be done if the 'without-isr-token' attribute is set to
> 'true'.
>
> I took that to mean, "Servers MUST NOT use <continue/> if the
> without-isr-token attribute is set to true".

Noted. It appears the negation of without-isr-token was not a good idea.
I'll try to improve the wording and how it turns out without the negation.

- Florian