On 21 March 2018 at 17:27, Maxime Buquet <p...@bouah.net> wrote:
> On 2018/03/21, Sam Whited wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018, at 12:01, Kevin Smith wrote:
>> > I’d argue (and did at the Summit) that the opposite is true and that if
>> > we want (especially impromptu) MUC to start working nicely across
>> > multiple accounts we need clients to react to the user leaving rooms
>> > manually by disabling the autojoin and then having other clients leave
>> > as well. They only joined because the autoflag was set, so isn’t it
>> > logical for them to leave when it’s no longer set?
>>
>> I agree with this; when I do something on one client, I almost always want
>> it synced to my other clients. Room joining and parting is the same.
>> Similarly, just because my connection dropped and came back up a moment
>> later doesn't mean I should suddenly not be joined to rooms anymore. If I'm
>> in a room, I should autojoin it from all my clients on startup, if I close
>> the room, it should close immediately in my other clients and no longer be
>> autojoined on startup.
>
> When I do join or part on one client, I almost never want it synced to my
> other clients. I have pretty different use between clients.

That's fine. To be honest, I'm the same. I have a couple of
low-traffic rooms that I join on my mobile, and yet I am in dozens of
rooms on my desktop client. I'd guess many people, especially "power
users" are not very different.

It doesn't change my opinion about the protocol though. The whole
purpose of bookmarks is for sharing between clients. If you join a
room on one client and it's only for that client, then it shouldn't be
set to 'autojoin' in a data store that is shared across all your
devices.

We're discussing the protocol, but there is nothing stopping clients
having their own overrides (i.e. local autojoin rooms). This could be
as simple as, when you join a room for the first time "Do you want to
join this room on all devices?" -> if the user answers positively,
then a bookmark with 'autojoin' is set. If not, a bookmark may still
be set, but the autojoin flag is only remembered locally.

And while we're here, I think "autojoin" is a silly concept. A client
should just remember what rooms it has open, and keep them open. If I
close my client and re-open it (or it crashed, or my computer crashed,
etc.), I'd expect to still be in the same rooms, unless I explicitly
asked it to leave them.

> If my connection dropped and came back a moment later, I would want my
> client to rejoin MUCs I was in. I use bookmarks mostly as a way to
> remember MUC JIDs, not to know which state my clients should be in.

That's fine, and I see that as a completely valid use of the protocol.
Just don't set autojoin on any of your bookmarks, and use clients that
remember which rooms they are joined to.

Regards,
Matthew