On 11 Jun 2018, at 13:52, Tedd Sterr <teddst...@outlook.com> wrote:

> I have considered this issue previously and concluded that, while there
> appears to be no technical reason to disallow correcting older messages,
> (some) current implementations only support correction of the last message
> (in line with this limitation.)
>
> Maybe Kev can shed some light on why this limitation was added (?)

There was heated discussion back at the time, most of which I can’t remember. I
think we’re in a different place now, with correction from different clients
and the suchlike also being likely where it wasn’t before, so I think updating
308 makes sense.

> As the XEP is in Draft and has been widely implemented, it's probably not a
> good idea to just remove it from the XEP; as a result of:
> > "The 'id' attribute is included on the replace to prevent situations where
> > messages being routed to a different resource than the intended cause
> > incorrect replacements."
> a receiving client would assume the message id that it can't find must have
> gone to a different resource and so will ignore the correction.
>
> I think a fix would preferably have a new namespace, and so it's probably
> best to just create "(Recent) Message Correction" as a new XEP, even though
> it would be near identical to 0308. And I'd take the opportunity to tighten
> the business rules and add deletion too (functionally, replacing the message
> with "This message was deleted.", but semantically different from literally
> replacing the message with that text.)

I think an ns bump in 308 is better than a duplicate spec, really (unless
there’s something I’m missing).

/K