> This wouldn’t be an issue if clients use sufficiently unique IDs.

I'm not sure that magically fixes the issue.
New RMC clients can and should use unique IDs - and we can mandate that - but
the issue here is with older LMC non-RMC-aware clients.So, if those clients
expect LMC to only ever be applied to the single recent message (possibly
naive, but the XEP explicitly advises against doing older corrections without
further negotiation) then upon discovering that the correction's ID does not
match the most recent message, it can only assume that it never received the
message that was to be corrected. This is true regardless of the uniqueness of
the IDs (the ID of the last message and the correction don't match - which they
shouldn't, because the correction is for an older message.)

> Also funny is by the way the question what counts as "Message" in this
> context. If I send a message and my client sends a CSN afterwards (because I
> switched to another tab maybe) and then I do a correction, is the CSN (which
> comes in its own <message/>) a new message, which should be prohibiting me
> from correcting my last actual text message?

One would hope (ha!) that implementations handle this in a sensible way; but
it's probably worth being more explicit in specifying.