> It sounded to me like this would be a new distinct namespace
> older-than-previous-message corrections, a namespace bump may be more
> contentious in a draft XEP.

That was my original expectation too, but Kev suggested the bump would be
preferable.

> As I see it, the *worst* thing that will happen if we allow
> Last-Message-Correction to affect also the last-but-N messages, is:
> Clients which implement the LMC spec strictly will display the update as a
> new message, instead of as a correction of the old one.

I did mention it already, but I'm not sure this is completely true.
The protocol itself functionally supports Recent Message Correction (RMC)
without modification, but without a way to differentiate between the two, LMC
clients may silently drop RMC messages, rather than blindly append them as new
messages.
Upon receiving an RMC message, an LMC client would check whether the ID matches
its last message and see that it doesn't -- the first business rule suggests
that means it is a correction to a message directed to another resource, and so
this client would quietly eat the message (because the correction is for
another resource.)

So, assuming I'm understanding that correctly, it needs cleaning up and the
bump is necessary to avoid silently dropping messages.