Hi Nikolaos

I agree with you regarding the scalability an silverbullet issue.
However, there will still be customers that wants to move around with web
content, and present it using different configurations (portals) depending
on different customers.
The best shot at the moment might be Jsr286, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Anyway, I am also tired of technologies that promises to save the world...
Which is why I like stripes :))))

Regards
Søren

Den 18/10/2010 19.00 skrev "Nikolaos Giannopoulos" <nikol...@brightminds.org
>:

 Andres,

Having worked with Portal Servers for many years... I have to say that in
"theory" Portal servers are great.  In "practice" there are A LOT of issues
with them.  The 2 biggest problems offhand are:

1) the fact that they ADD an entirely different layer on top of your "web
container" being the "portlet container" and make simple web development a
little more like rocket science (as if it isn't hard enough as it is at
times).  For this the "iFrame" is a classic solution.  Yes - not what you
might expect but heavily utilized in the Portal / Portlet space.

2) due to 1) they have a voracious appetite for CPU and memory... and as
such have a litter of many failed projects... .  And I don't mean small
customers... I mean VERY large customers in the USA and Canada who give up
on either a) buying all the extra hardware OR b) buying all the extra
licenses for their app servers.  I have had clients ask me with my
enterprise box with X CPU's that should be enough... NO?... why the
performance issues?... double the CPU and the #boxes if you can was my
answer and you still will probably have scalability issues... they did and
it didn't help  :-)

Portals were supposed to be the end all to "Enterprise" and aggregate the
hundreds / thousands of local systems on an Intranet... instead they have
met largely with failure on a grand scale and what I most often see are
companies going back to building large web apps after they have experienced
the Portal world.

So it isn't surprising that Stripes lacks integration... and it isn't
surprising that Spring MVC does... or whatever... what is surprising for me
personally is to see people still trying to build or maintain sites around
them ;-)

--Nikolaos