You may choose not to go down the DAO route, I might be wrong, but it seems to
force you to write too many classes and interfaces.

It is actually possible to create a simple system with the following elements:

1 HibernateFilter class ensuring that transactions are managed as they should
and that sets up the whole database and manages all the Entities. Ensuring that
the database is ready and updated with every update of the code.

1 java class per entity

1 line of code in each Stripes action function that tells the HibernateFilter
whether to store updates on the entities in the database or not.

That way you end up with a few classes that manages the whole setup and 1 java
bean per entity you need in your system.

No spring, just 1 simple 20 line hibernate.cfg.xml file and you are ready to
add entity bean classes where you need them.

Stripes will manage the lookup from the database, the mapping of form elements
with entity properties and the hibernatefilter will manage the process of
persisting the entity.

Am I missing something?

Morten

—