On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Robert Leland wrote:

> > Personally, I think what we really need is an automated system where
> > people could upload things and have them posted automatically for other
> > people to download. Like a "Braughtigan Library", or CPAN. This might be
>
> I agree many sites have a community for uploads.
> I was thinking about something like
> code central at community.borland.com.
> Users have to self register themselves with
> an account name, password and a valid e-mail
> address that is verified. Then they are allowed to
> upload/download software to the site, and later update it
> with newer versions. So the software isn't
> in a CVS format.
>
> I am sure there must be dozens of well used Java based
> portals, perhaps on Sourceforge, that we could start with.
> We could get that up pretty quickly. Then over time
> if we wish, we could replace the Interface with a struts based
> GUI as the resources are available. Ideally we could maintain
> database format level compatability,

There's been talk in the Commons community (but only a little code so
far) about building a CJAN type environment (the name being a pun on
CPAN).  Note that, to host such a thing at Apache, there would need to be
some agreement that any uploaded code is licensed under the Apache License
(as is all of the code in the Struts CVS repository).  But this doesn't
preclude hosting something similar elsewhere.

Hmm, it would make a really cool Struts example app if someone wanted to
build a CJAN thing using Struts for the web admin parts.  Any volunteers?

> -Rob

Craig