On 19 Jan 2003, David M. Karr wrote:

> I don't know enough about what exactly Struts-JSF will be doing to really
> compare it, but I would guess that it won't be as intimately tied to the Struts
> MVC core or to the Struts tag library, which would make it logical to be
> released separately.

I have a pretty fair idea what it will look like :-).

It's going to be intimately tied in the sense that it includes a
specialized RequestProcessor, another tag library, and the glue code to
hook in Faces -- in other words, roughly as "intimate" as struts-el or
tiles is.

However, I'm not sure whether that really counts as a reason to choose one
packaging over another.  After all, nearly any Struts-based application
(as opposed to a Struts extension) is likely to be just as intimate.

> My other concern about doing this is that we'll be changing the packaging
> structure of Struts, just before a release.  I think I see some of your point
> about packaging the MVC core separately from the tag libraries, but I think the
> Struts tag library should be packaged with Struts-EL.  In any case, I'm
> concerned about changing the release and packaging structure so close to a
> release.

At the moment, I'm opposed to changing the packaging in a 1.1 release time
frame.  If we were serious about it, there is *far* more work to do than
just repacking struts-el (see my grumblings yesterday about build.xml).

If we're not going to do it all, we shouldn't risk upsetting the stability
we have right now.