It was my original understanding that Struts-el lived in the contrib folder, as Craig mentioned he would do with Struts-JSF. One advantage of this is that Struts-el (and Struts-JSF) could have their own release cycle.

In general, I would to see us position Struts as a model and view agnostic Controller. As alternatives like JSTL, JSF, XML/XLST, become more common place, we will want to move the Struts taglibs out of the core distribution and into an optional distribution. This implies that, in general, we should be trying to decouple taglib implementations 0from the main distribution.

I would suggest that struts-el be packaged as a separate download from the Struts 1.1 core, on the grounds that

* As I understand it, struts-el requires the JSTL which in turn requires servlet 2.3. Our technical minimum requirements for Struts 1.1 are still servlet 2.2.

* Packaging struts-el separately conincides with the long-term view for the product.

In general, I'd like to suggest that stop thinking of Struts as a "one site fits all" distribution, and starting thinking of it as a core, central controller that people can use with other products, like Struts-JSF, Struts-el, or the original Struts JSP taglib.

As it stands, struts-el has been documented as a contribution and does not appear with the other developer guides (mea culpa). Making it a standalone distribution is just a matter of changing the build script. This would then allow David to make a new release of struts-el without forcing a new release of the core framework.

So, I will have to join David Karr in casting a negative vote as to promoting the beta to a release candidate as it is now built, on the grounds that struts-el should be distributed separately.

Of course, since this is a majority vote situation,

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html

these -1s will not prevent a release, unless other committers change their vote. (My chance to veto the idea unilaterally was when the build.xml was first changed, but that boat has sailed :(

-Ted.

David M. Karr wrote:
"David" == David M Karr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

"David" == David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    David> The only added attribute was "cdata" that defaults to true on the javascript
    David> tag.  I'd like to see this included in the release because it rounds out the
    David> xhtml functionality.

    David> We have yet to hear back from Martin if he is vetoing this change.  If he does,
    David> then I'll remove the attribute and always put a cdata section around the
    David> javascript in xhtml mode.  Obviously, I and other xhtml users would be
    David> dissapointed.

    David> And on that note, remember that we need to make sure that any attribute changes
    David> in the base library get into Struts-EL.  There were some attribute changes made
    David> right before the 1.1b3 tagging, which was during a five day period when my
    David> house was without power for 79 hours, so I wasn't able to get the associated
    David> Struts-EL changes in until after 1.1b3 was tagged.  I don't think that is a
    David> real problem, but it will be a real problem if something like this happens for
    David> the real release.

I'm not sure this matters at this point, but if we're really voting on taking
the 1.1b3 tag as rc1, I guess I'd -1 that, based on my previous comment.  If we
used 1.1b3, The "html:link" tag will have an "action" attribute, but the
"html-el:link" tag will not.

Is there an easy way to get the diffs or comments of all elements with commits
since the 1.1b3 tagging?

--
Ted Husted,