--- Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My only concern would be using the term "context" to imply more than one
>
> object.
>
> IMHO, there should be a functional non-httpd framework below Struts,
> that would provide things like a Context Object, which would be a
> generic version of the HttpRequest. At the Stuts level, you could then
> have available to you signatures that used a Context or a HttpContext.
>
> In the future, we should be able to write pure business Actions that
> don't use http semantics, and only use the http version when we
> absolutely need to. In practice, most of us rarely use the http services
>
> of the HttpRequest, and the same Actions could be coded using a generic
> Context (that might be chained to the HttpRequest, as is done with the
> Velocity Tools).
>
> [We started along this way with duel Action classes, but I've never even
>
> tried to use the non-http one.]
>
> So, if we're talking about the ActionContext interface being an
> abstraction of the Action class, I'd like to search for another name.

No, I was thinking Actions would be passed an ActionContext in their
execute() method similar to how Servlets know about a ServletContext.  The
ActionContext would contain the HttpServletRequest, form bean, etc. and
would serve to keep the API stable while allowing flexibility in what the
ActionContext actually contained.

David