--- Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Graham wrote:
> > No, I was thinking Actions would be passed an ActionContext in their
> > execute() method similar to how Servlets know about a ServletContext.
> The
> > ActionContext would contain the HttpServletRequest, form bean, etc.
> and
> > would serve to keep the API stable while allowing flexibility in what
> the
> > ActionContext actually contained.
>
> Perhaps it's time for a Commons Context foundation class. Tiles uses a
> Context, Velocity uses a Context, the Commons-Chain sandbox package uses
>
> a Context, Struts wants to use a Context, and I'm sure that there are
> others.
>
> Ideally, we might want to be able to pass a Context between Struts and
> the business layer as well as other packages like Tiles and Velocity. So
>
> it might be helpful if they could be implementations of the same
> underlying interface.
>
> Perhaps we could squeeze it into Resources, since, in practice, messages
>
> are definitely something you would be attaching to a Context.
>
> =:0) I just don't want Geir coming along in a few months and pointing
> out how many Context implementations we have in Jakarta now =:0)

I'm not sure that Context is a reusable idea.  The ActionContext is likely
to have very different attributes than a VelocityContext (or whatever they
call it).  For example, Servlet has ServletConfig and Portlet has
PortletConfig but that doesn't mean they could both be crammed into
OneBigConfig :-).

David