David Graham wrote:
I was under the impression that the blue/grey l&f was the new Jakarta
standard that sites would be moving to.  Maybe it's just the default Maven
l&f that no one ever bothered to customize.  Both the Maven and Forrest
l&f are fine with me; I'm just a big fan of consistency so if there is a
Jakarta standard we should follow it.

My guess is that few bother to customize (and may not even know how). AFAIK, there is no direction coming from the PMC or ASF to standardize on either Maven or Forrest.

As Craig says, there's no telling how long we will remain a Jakarta subproject. Even so, of 22 top-level Jakarta products only three seem to be using Maven:

jakarta.apache.org/bcel
jakarta.apache.org/poi
jakarta.apache.org/turbine

Within the Commons, Maven is more popular. There are also 22 packages there, and 13 seem to be using Maven:

Betwixt
CLI
Codec
Daemon
DBCP
FileUpload
HttpClient
Jelly
JxPath
Latka
Net
Pool
Validator

Maven is quite popular in the Sandbox, where all the listed products that have setup Welcome pages seem to be using Maven.

As you might note, there is a pattern here of Maven being adopted for new development, but there has been almost no transition of mature products to Maven.

Of the 16 top-level Apache level (where we should be anyway), three projects are using Maven, counting Maven itself

avalon.apache.org
db.apache.org
maven.apache.org

and four are using Forrest

ant.apache.org
cocoon.apache.org
incubator.apache.org
xml.apache.org

Unsurprisingly, Forrest is relatively popular among the 13 products of xml.apache.org, where it being used by six products (including Forrest itself):

xml.apache.org/fop
xml.apache.org/forrest
xml.apache.org/commons
xml.apache.org/security
xml.apache.org/xindice
xml.apache.org/xmlbeans

But even in XML land, one hold out, xmlrpc, is using Maven. [Bless their souls :)]

As to there ever being an Apache or Jakarta standard, I would venture to say that such a thing would be unlikely. These are the types of decisions that the ASF prefers to leave to the Committers that actually manage the project.

If a standard emerges, it will be a defacto standard that evolves from the decisions each team makes about whether the package works for them. ("Let Darwin decide".) My own personal guess is that if such a standard does emerge one day, it will look more like Forrest and less like Maven.

But, honestly, I don't really care what we use, so long as the work gets done =:0) No matter what we use today, sooner or later I'm sure we'll be using something else =:0)