I don't actually care, and, lacking a basis of comparison, I don't even know if what we have now is broken. Will Maven or Forrest be less work? If so, great. Personally, I don't care about the "look and feel" issues. It looks the way it looks. I just want to know if it will make better use of our volunteer time.

One big gain from going to Maven is that it makes the barrier to working with the code very low. Long-time committers may not remember so well, but it takes a fair bit of configuration to get a Struts build working. Meanwhile, Maven downloads all the dependencies for you, and can generate IDE projects for several of the major IDEs (with the exception of Netbeans, I think because NB uses object serialization instead of text files to store project configurations.)

So a potential gain would be for more Struts users to hop over the wall to being Struts developers. Of course, there's a lot more to that than just being able to compile changes to the source tree, but being able to build Struts from source is obviously the first step to reviewing bugs, trying fixes, and submitting patches.

Rob is right that we don't HAVE to move the CVS around to use Maven -- and with the possible exception of the integration testing, I don't foresee any major complexities. It looks like this weekend is another wash for me in terms of "project time" but I'll see if I can find some time this week to see where Rob is with "maven-izing" Struts and see if I can help at all.

Joe

Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time." --Jaron Lanier