On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Niall Pemberton wrote:
I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but doesn't Struts overlap to
some degree with JavaServer Faces and wasn't there talk of perhaps Struts
evolving to be a implementation of JavaServer Faces?

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
That's certainly a possibile evolution (or perhaps even a subproject), if
enough developers are interested.  Thanks in large part to Apache's
advocacy and influence, the JCP process has been modified so that we
(Apache) can even qualify for the certification scholarship (for
nonprofits) and access to the TCKs and certify that our application is
compliant.

If we were to do that, it wouldn't be the *reference* implementation, of
course, but it would certainly be an Apache-licensed open source
implementation.

Personally, I would suggest that if people were interested in an Apache implementation of JavaServer Faces, that it begin in the Jakarta Commons. Many Java frameworks now support JSP and will certainly want to support JSF in the future. [Of course, for Struts, the future is now, since we already have a JSF taglib ready to rock. =:0)]

By exposing "Jakarta Faces" at the highest possible level, the greatest number of projects and teams will consider using the product and joining its community.

In this way "Jakarta Faces" could focus on being a "by the book" implementation of JSF. Meanwhile frameworks like Struts could offer (yet to be determined) "value add" features that go beyond the formal specification. "Jakarta Faces" might not be the reference implementation, but that doesn't mean we can't treat it like one =:0)

IMHO, the true value of Struts has been the way it helps people "put the pieces together" by leveraging existing technologies like JavaBeans, JavaServer Pages, JDBC, Localization, and so forth. So moving forward, I see JSF as one more link in the chain. Once people start rolling out applications based on JSF, I'm sure there will be plenty of "missing links" for frameworks like Struts to provide.