--- Sgarlata Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OK, here's another idea.  I searched the archives for it and couldn't
> find
> it.
>
> How about two simple changes:
> 1) Add a new renderExtraAttributes() method that gives people the chance
> throw non-standard HTML into their tags that extend from Struts tags.

I am -1 on the Struts tags supporting any non-standard HTML including
providing the suggested hook method.  Like Java itself, Struts aims to be
a cross-platform tool.  Adding support for non-standard HTML undermines
that goal and promotes non-interoperability.

I can't count the number of times I've been frustrated by webapps that
require a particular browser that I'm not using.  I absolutely don't want
one of my favorite tools to support that kind of development.

> Here
> is a snippet from BaseFieldTag.java:
>
> <snip>
> results.append("\"");
> results.append(this.prepareEventHandlers());
> results.append(this.prepareStyles());
> results.append(this.getElementClose());
>

> <matts-idea>
> results.append(renderExtraAttributes());
> </matt-sidea>
>
> return results.toString();
> </snip>
>
> The use cases for this are (a) to support the readonly attribute and

At least the <html:text> tag already supports readonly.  Are there other
tags (where readonly is allowed) that are missing it?

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/struts-html.html#text

David