--- Robert Leland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Graham wrote:
>
> >--- Sgarlata Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >>OK, here's another idea.  I searched the archives for it and couldn't
> >>find
> >>it.
> >>
> >>How about two simple changes:
> >>1) Add a new renderExtraAttributes() method that gives people the
> chance
> >>throw non-standard HTML into their tags that extend from Struts tags.
> >>

> >I am -1 on the Struts tags supporting any non-standard HTML including
> >providing the suggested hook method.  Like Java itself, Struts aims to
> be
> >a cross-platform tool.  Adding support for non-standard HTML undermines
> >that goal and promotes non-interoperability.
> >

> Is it really the Struts tag library's mantra to dictate that the tags
> should not be modified
> externally to gain needed functionality ?

I'm still not clear about this.  What is the needed functionality that
we're not providing?

> By not providing hooks,
> wheather these are the
> correct ones or not, isn't  very developer friendly. A framwork can be
> developer friendly,
> and well designed at the same time.

I agree but hook methods that exist solely to help people write
non-standard HTML aren't the way to go.  Methods that perform a standard
function that can be overridden are more appropriate IMO.

> And It's not that the tags would be producing non standard HTML 4.01,
> it's that they would/could
> add composite functionality over and above standard HTML that would
> still be 4.01 compliant.

What's an example of this?

David