Great work, Steve. That's looking very good.

I guess the $64,000 question is whether we're up for using Maven for the 1.2.0 release.

It does looks like the pieces are coming together, and I wouldn't be opposed to moving forward on that basis. I ran the Struts 1.2.0 JAR against the bundled web applications, and it seems just fine. (What I did was delete all the JARs from the webapps, and then put them all in the Tomcat shared directory. This made it *very* easy to swap in another Struts jar for testing.)

If we did modify the XML documents for the Maven build, and then we decided to use the original build and site instead, would it be difficult to modify our old stylesheets to use the new Maven-compatible xdocs?

Anybody up for using XLST to move our XMLs over to Maven?

-Ted.

Steve Raeburn wrote:
I've updated the Maven build to generate some documentation. Use 'maven
site' to generate it.

I copied the documentation over from docs to xdocs. There are some
differences between the tags expected by the Maven xdoc transofrmation
and our existing XSL transformation. It's causing some funky formatting
at the moment, but it will be fixable. I've noticed the following so
far:

  - <chapter> elements are not recognized. I've changed them to
<section> for now.
  - Block code examples need to be wrapped in a <source> tag. See
index.xml for an example.
  - Many (all?) of the anchors aren't operational

I've also been experimenting with customization of the site. Main
changes are in project.properties, but I've also added a custom JSL
stylesheet (struts.jsl) which would allow complete control over the
generated site. You might find the current look familiar ;-)

TODO:
  - Figure out the best way to migrate the xml docs
   (essentially change the source docs or change the JSL stylesheet)
  - Generate tlds and taglib documentation
  - Look into using the multi-project plugin to build webapps & contrib
  - Play with the Cactus plugin to get the other tests running

Anyone who wants to explore Maven, feel free to dive in :-)

Steve