The following might help you.

ramakrishna.

*************************

Ted Husted has links tutorials, example webapps, and
code (custom tags, etc.).

http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

"A Walking Tour of Struts" (at the bottom) walks you
through the Struts example webapp.
http://www.husted.com/about/struts/scaffolding.htm

If you want to stay pure MVC, then you can have your
home page go through the controller servlet.

Struts has a connection pool that you can use for
database connections.  You configure it in the
struts-config.xml file.

David

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/