Comments below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nitu Singh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: New To Struts

> Thanks a lot,
> And I did visit the home page for struts(and that's where the problem
> started).
> Let me explain u the doubts which I had going thru the page:
> 1) All the downloads had 2-3 versions (for example, ANT, it had binary
> release, source realease and some RPM),
> which one I have to download, do I have to download all the 3?
> btw, if u can explain me the difference between source release and binary
> release, as I see them in almost all the downloads.

The only download you need is the Struts binary distribution. If you read
something that stated that you needed more than this, please let us know
where you saw that, so that we can fix it. You don't need to download Ant at
all unless you want to rebuild Struts, or the example apps that come with
it.

The binary distribution contains everything you need, already compiled and
provided as one or more jar files, ready for you to include in your own
application.See
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/installation.html#Installing for more
information on using a binary distribution.

The source distribution includes, ah, the source code and everything you
would need to rebuild your own version of Struts. See
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/installation.html#Building if you want to
do that.

> 2) Do I really have to download the Servlet API ?If yes, why? as weblogic
> supports servlets and why again to have one more servlet API?

You need to have some Servlet API implementation available if you're going
to compile your own code that relies on those interfaces. If WebLogic
includes that (as I would assume that it does, but I'm not familiar with
it), then you don't need to download another one.

> 3) In many installations it says, I need to put some *distribution files*
or
> some *jar files*  in WEB-INF directory. I don't find any such directory
> in weblogic5.1. So what to do?

I suggest you follow the instructions for WebLogic 5.1. See
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/installation-wls.html for more information.

> These are only few of the things. The more I read, the more I get
confused?
> If you could clear my above queries, I can go ahead and then may be I will
> come up more questions?

The best suggestion I can come up with is to follow the links that are
available to you, and search the mailing list archives. You are by no means
the first person to travel the path you are on.

--
Martin Cooper