Cedric Dumoulin wrote:

>   I have try a lot of possibilities with Tiles, but never this one ;-).
>
>   You are facing the same problem than  with <iterate> tag, because <put> tag
> implements 'BodyTag'. It does so to be able to read its body. In fact, only tags
> needing to read their body implements 'BodyTag'. Unfortunately, it is not
> possible to use include() method in such body (which is what <get> or <insert>
> does).
>   This is a limitation from jsp1.1.
>
>   To resume, you can't insert or get a page inside the body of a <put> tag.
>
>     Cedric

Pardon the bluntness, but this most definitely and most totally sucks.
I've been trying to figure out for days a way to nest templates, mostly because
of the need ot have certain opening and closing tags located in the same file
(<html:html> and <html:form> are two in particular).  It has been a futile
effort, but I was holding out hope that Tiles might be able to help me.  From
what is said above, it looks like Tiles won't help either (?)

Here's an example of what I want to do:
All pages in the app should have a common layout/basic feel, so I want to use a
template that contains things like the .css includes, the page title, the <body>
tag, etc.  This template will put up some "headers" followed by some content.
For many pages, the content is a form with a set of buttons at the botton.
There are a limited number of forms that are shared among all the pages, but
every page has different buttons to put at the bottom.  So it would be good to
use a template for each kind of form, and have the calling page just
<template:put> the buttons it wants on the form.  Problem is, the calling page
is already in a <template:insert> and I can't <template:put> another
<templete:insert>.
Would Tiles be able to solve this particular problem, or is there another way
I've overlooked?  If not, this seems to me like a serious hole in capability,
since this kind of pattern can't be uncommon.

        Eric
--
Eric Rizzo, Software Engineer
OpenNetwork Technologies