From: Max Cooper [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 2:08 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Container-managed authentication not possible

Brandon,

SecurityFilter *does* implement isUserInRole(), getUserPrincipal(), and
getRemoteUser(). By "mimics" I mean that your app (or Tiles and Struts) will
not be able to distinguish between SecurityFilter and Container Managed
Security. It behaves the same, and it looks the same to the code running on
top of it. One of the major design goals of the project is to allow you to
switch between container-managed and filter-based security without changing
your application's code. SecurityFilter also shares the same configuration
syntax and features, except that you put the info in a
securityfilter-config.xml file rather than web.xml.

-Max