I have been thinking about it this off and on for a while. It seems to me
that SOAP (or xml-rpc or ...) would be another access point into the
business logic of the application that is a peer to the access point
provided by a Struts-based layer. The Struts-based components provide the
mechanism to deliver content to web browsers, the SOAP interface enables
content delivery from the business logic layer to other types of clients on
the network. I do not see the need to extend the ActionServlet to provide
this type of access.

Brad Smith

                      "Mike Oliver"

                      <ollie@appsaspee         To:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      rs.com>                  cc:

                                               Subject: Axis/SOAP proposal for Struts

                      17-01-03 07:45

                      Please respond

                      to "Struts Users

                      Mailing List"

Struts Users,

I would like to propose that Struts be extended to support another entry
point.  The ActionServlet would be augmented by an Axis/SOAP Web
Services Interface to Struts.  FormBeans would be part of the payload
for requests.  Responses would be generated by Forwards for SOAP.  This
new Axis entry point would do the same work as ActionServlet with the
only significant difference being the construction of the FormBean.
Incoming SOAP Requests would be configured to call the same
RequestHandlers and as far as the actions go they won't know that the
source was an HTML Form or a serialized FormBean.

I feel this will give a great deal of flexibility to Applications where
they want a Web Browser User Interface as well as Web Services for the
same Application Data Model and Business Logic.

I am planning on doing this anyway, and felt it applicable to this group
and would offer to share it as a sub project and would welcome
contributions of thought, expertise and code.

Michael Oliver
Chief Technology Officer
AppsAsPeers LLC
7391 S. Bullrider Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85747
520.574.1150 Voice
520.844.1036 Fax
520.270.8862 Cell
http://www.appsaspeers.com <http://www.appsaspeers.com/>  Home Page
[EMAIL PROTECTED] SMS
http://www.ollie.ezpeer.net <http://www.ollie.ezpeer.net/>  Personal
Home Page
http://www.ollie.im-live.com/im-live/  Instant Chat
[EMAIL PROTECTED] MSN Messenger
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo Instant Messenger
MikeOliverAZ Aol Instant Messenger