I would suggest you try to tune Tomcat memory by using -mx as a JVM
parameter, I may help reduce the swapping.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 11 March, 2003 06:09
To: Struts-User List
Subject: [OT] computer performance with jsp/servlets/struts

I only ask this to see if I can make my life easier.  I have a PII
333MHz laptop with 216MB Ram and I am running Tomcat, JDK 1.4.1 and
some struts applications.  Just now it took ant 6 min 56 sec to
reload my application after making changes.  If I were to go and get
a decent Athlon XP or PIV computer, what should I expect for reload
times and compile times for a reasonable size webpage application?

This is the one thing that I regret when leaving PHP.  I spend close
to 1/8 of my day waiting for it to reload once my computer starts
swapping to disk.  Does anyone else have this issue?

Dan

Daniel Allen, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/

Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official business of
Standard Bank Group Limited is proprietary to the company. It is confidential, legally
privileged and protected by law. Standard Bank does not own and endorse any other
content.
Views and opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of
Standard Bank.

The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify the
sender
immediately if it has unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose or use the
content
in any way.

Standard Bank can not assure that the integrity of this communication has been
maintained nor
that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.