Right! Good products transcend platforms! So, .NET has an intentional problem. No sense denying it.

At 12:45 PM 3/21/03 -0500, you wrote:
From a developers viewpoint, I'd say it's all moot. Developers develop. Pascal, SmallTalk, Java, C# -- a language is a language. I've been through half a dozen platforms so far, and, God willing, I'll go through a half dozen more before I'm done. =:0)

The trick is to keep bringing your favorite tools along for the ride. They hand you .NET, you come back with maverick.net (or struts.net for that matter).

What I see in .NET is the opportunity to make our favorite tools, like Struts and Hibernate and Velocity and Lucene, cross platform. So, no matter what the suits come up with next, for us, it's still business as usual =:-)

The Apache Software Foundation is about community-driven open source. Whether it's in Java or C# or PHP or Python or Ruby doesn't matter. Good products transcend languages and platforms.

-T.

Sterin, Ilya wrote:
Here is the issue. The industry is greatly adopting the Linux platform, for servers and currently even workstations. This is a major move, as we have fortune 500 clients who are planning on switching the full infrastructure to Linux. Which means replacing Unix (Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX) as well as NT, to all run Linux. With these advancements, and Microsoft surely loosing the battle on the **server side**, .NET is not really looked at as a serious solution at many enterprises, though they'll have to adapt Windows as their server side platform, which is rare, especially in bigger companies, who currently run on Unix/Linux.

--- Ted Husted, Struts in Action <http://husted.com/struts/book.html>

LEGAL NOTICE

This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying documents contain information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete the message. Thank you