Very true, Ted, totally agree with the developers viewpoint.  I also don't
care if it's Java, C#, Perl, C/C++, or some new language, as long as you can
get the job done.

The problem arises though with the fact that, what's more benefitial in the
enterprises infrastructure.  Cross-platform (which Java provides) or
cross-language (which .NET provides).  With my experience, most corporations
have a highly heterogeneous environment, with it being almost impossible to
deploy a 100% .NET infrastructure.  And being that most corps don't
necessarily want to support multiple global infrastructures, they tend to
lean towards J2EE.

Though I must admit that most, are implementing .NET somewhere in the
enterprise, it's just not a corporate wide supported environment.

Look at it from the perspective of writting cross platform apps.  Most app
companies, be it ERP applications, RDBMS, etc... are always looking to
broader platform environments.  SAP, Peoplesoft, etc... have all ported
software to Linux, Unix, etc...  Relying 100% on .NET, that becomes
impossible.  Though is the reason Oracle is highly dependent on Java, as it
allows them to explore multiple platform environments, without the $$$ and
time involved in porting to a different language.

Ilya