Jing Zhou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A similar question about your web application:
> Assuming all pages are set to no-cached,
> does it allow end users to continue the application flow after
> the "Page has Expired ..." feedback?
>
> I am interested in the answer to the second question and encourage
> anyone to do a REAL experiment with your web application and find out
> what is happening.

Which is just another reason why you shouldn't depend on the browser for
caching/control-flow.

Caching was designed to allow low-bandwidth end-users to take advantage of
the fact that static pages don't change.

In a struts application, by definition, most pages are dynamically
generated.   All requests SHOULD be sent back to the server, even those
where the user has backtracked.

It's up to your application to determine what to do with that backtracking.
 If you allow it, then you build your application in such a way as to allow
a reloaded page to display something meaningful.

If you don't allow it, then you provide back a relevent page.  Perhaps this
is a page that says something like "Don't try to backtrack -- we don't
allow/support it" with a link to the last valid page displayed by the user.

In any case, it's a server-side responsibility in a dynamic web application
to handle backtracking correctly.   There's too many variations on browsers
out there to let the client handle it, especially when those variations were
never originally designed to support dynamic-content pages.

Obviously, this is somewhat a matter of "Opinion" and "Preference", but so
is using MVC over the so-called Model 1 approach.

In my opinion (in the short period of time I've been using Struts),
backtracking strategy management isn't easily accomplished in Struts.  In
WebObjects, there's a page-state-caching mechanism to deal with this kind of
problem, and I suspect before I get too far along, I'll end up porting it
over in some form to get my production application working under Struts.

> A question about your Sony VCR: does it allow you to continue from the
places where it get interrupted?

Actually, it does.  I suspect that the Sony BeepGenerator Action performs a
ForwardAction to PlayNextFrame Action :-)

-Mike