What you described is today's known practice. If you check
Struts source codes, you may find the token facility in Struts
may solve the problems you mentioned as backtracking. I buy it
with a little concern if we could make it as solid as your
Sony VCR :-)

> Actually, it does.  I suspect that the Sony BeepGenerator Action performs
> ForwardAction to PlayNextFrame Action :-)

When a web application is interrupted by the Back button, if anyone could
remove the message like "Don't try to backtrack -- we don't allow/support
it"
with a generic algorithm that allows the application flow to continue from
where it is interrupted, the algorithm is going to be welcomed, regardless
the
algorithm is server logic or client logic.

Maybe WebObjects could do it or some other frameworks?

Jing
Netspread Carrier
http://www.netspread.com