To address the "fundemental" question, it is considered a "best practice"
to only use String or Boolean objects or collections of String and/or
Boolean objects or collection of
data structures which contain String and/or Boolean objects in your forms.
This is because it gives you
more control over validation. This doesn't mean that DynaActionForms or
any DynaXXXXForm for that matter doesn't support non-string types. It
supports
any Object because essentially the DynaXXXForms internal data structure is a
Map.

In general the Struts form should be a ValueObject passing immutable data
from the input
to be processed or passing immutable data to the output to be rendered.

The great thing about Struts is that it gives you more than enough "rope" to
use wisely or hang yourself :)

robert