Hi Ed

I've checked my spellings this time.

On 17 Dec 2003, at 15:49, Ed Dowgiallo wrote:

Mark,

Perhaps I am getting old, but the meaning of your metaphors went over my
head. On the other hand, this is an international audience.

What is a chocolate fire guard?

A fire guard is like a shield one places in front of a fire to prevent any bits of hot ash escaping and setting one's house on fire. These are usually made of metal as it is fire proof. A fireguard made of chocolate wouldn't be much use, as it would melt and not protect one's house from the peril of smoldering ash.

Do you believe it is harder or easier to use DynaActionForms instead of
Strings?

A few months ago it was certainly the case that using strings when using dynaaction forms was the only sure way of getting stuff running. But robert sounds like he's been using objects in there and sounds good to me, I think that beanutils has problems with BigDecimal and perhaps other objects but I dont remeber the details. I haven't used dynaforms in a while because i dont like the way you have to wait until runtime to see whether there's a problem.

Is taking the piss a bit a good thing or a bad thing?

Its another why of saying, "taking the mickey" , or "making fun of something".. It used to be the case in victorian times in england that urine would fetch enough money for a decent meal. As urine was used for cosmetic and medical purposes by the affluent classes, urine would be exchanged by poorer folks for a financial reward. Thus the phrase was born "taking the piss" its also where "spending a penny" came from.

Cheers Mark

No one's suggesting that anyone hangs them selves or that struts isn't
good. But the fact that this list sees a high influx of newbies,
getting battered with high-brow design concepts which while are very
interesting have a certain chocolate fire guard quality to them .

Easiest thing is to make all the form properties strings, or like has
been suggested, non primitives. It was certainly the case a few months
ago that to use dynaaction forms then it was just less bother to use
strings.

Sure nesting model objects in action forms does take the piss a bit,
but its nothing that cant be sorted when clients/non tech bosses have
stopped wetting themselves about image swaps..

Cheers Mark