Quoting Geeta Ramani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> The easiest way is perhaps to simply add a "redirect=true" in your action
> mapping.  However, be aware that this will kill your request attributes
> (since your request
> object is no longer forwarded..)

Geeta's warning about one consequence is quite correct.  So is the warning that
you're going to make the performance of your application worse, because a
redirect requires an extra round trip to the client (a forward is basically a
glorified subroutine call that happens only on the server, which is why the
browser doesn't change it's address -- it never knew what happened).

<personal-opinion>
In a web *applicaton* (as opposed to a web *site*), URLs should be thought of as
an internal implementation detail, not a primary user-accessible feature.  If
you find your users getting distracted by the displayed URLs (or, worse, trying
to bookmark them, which will never work unless your app takes pains to make it
work), consider creating a frameset with a single frame in it (so the shown
address never changes), or use JavaScript to create a new window that does not
have a location bar.

Other folks will disagree with me on this, of course, but in my general response
is "show me where the back button and bookmarks window are in a Swing app, and
I'll make them available in my web app."  :-)
</personal-opinion>

> Regards,
> Geeta

Craig McClanahan