From: "George Herring" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Terry DiMattio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Question of History -- related article
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:55:30 -0700

     Mr. Carlson

     Below is the draft-article I refer to and promised in my response to
     your e-mail.  Again, if you would like to see the maps mentioned
     please send a mailing address and I'll see that a copy of the
     newsletter containing the article is sent to you.

     George

     _____________________________________

     Not Far To The West

     Christopher Columbus was lost to his dying day. In fact, between 1492
     and 1542, all Europeans in the New World, in a sense, were lost. Why?
     Because most Renaissance mapmakers accepted the classical belief that
     China existed approximately 180 longitudinal degrees east of Europe1..
      It's actually 120 degrees east.  In this article I hope to convince
     you with early 16th century maps why Columbus, Juan Rodriguez
     Cabrillo, and others thought Asia lay just beyond the western horizon.

     Let's begin with this 1503 woodcut-map, drawn by Gregor Reisch, is
     based on the work of Claudius Ptolemy, a Roman-Egyptian geographer of
     the 2nd century AD2..  Ptolemy collected the geographic work of other
     scholars and the tales of travelers to fill in the details of this
     map.  A 1478 version of the exact same  map is known to have been in
     an Atlas owned by Christopher Columbus. The important feature of this
     map to note relative to our story is the extent of it's eastern
     extreme.  Asia is depicted as extending more than 180 degrees to the
     east of Spain!

     Why does the map depict Asia extending so far to the east?  Because
     Ptolemy said so, that's why.  Renaissance scholars had no means with
     which to measure longitude and only crude estimates of distance
     covered by ships.  They had no reason, or evidence, to refute the
     knowledge of Ptolemy.

     Columbus, like most explorers after him for 100 years, accepted
     Ptolemy's estimate3..   And, like many amateur scientists, he
     manipulated his data.  Columbus interpreted the writings of Marco Polo
     to indicate that the mainland of Asia extended east 253 degrees, and
     he cited Polo's accounts of a large island named Zipango (Japan)4.
     said to lay an additional 30 degrees east of China.  This left, in his
     estimates, about 77 degrees of ocean to cross from the Canaries to
     Japan5..

     When Columbus bumbled into the West Indies he had traveled about 60
     degrees, but he estimated he'd traveled about 75 degrees.  Far enough,
     he thought, to have reached the eastern fringes of the Indies.  Since
     the people he encountered appeared to be "Indian," it was natural for
     him to conclude he was in the "Indies".  He maintained that Cuba and
     the other islands of the Caribbean were the East Indies until his
     death in 1506.

     Scholars and explorers throughout the early 16th century argued about
     just what Columbus had found and how it fit with the writings of
     Ptolemy and the beliefs of the Church. Consistently they persisted in
     the belief that China lay less than 180 degrees west of Spain (60
     degrees or less west of Mexico.)  Furthermore, according to the Bible
     the apostles had spread the gospel to all the peoples of the world.
     For this to be feasible it was necessary for mapmakers to depict the
     America's as accessible from Asia. Virtually all maps from the 16th
     century, therefore, depicted Asia and the America's as connected or
     separated by only a narrow strait of water (the Straits of Anian)
     somewhere in the North Pacific6..

     This map, probably by Giorgio Callapoda in 1550, is typical of such
     mid-16th century maps.  The tip of the Baja California Peninsula is
     shown as 245 degrees east (115 degrees west) of Spain - 15 degrees to
     far to the west7..  The eastern most regions of China (Mangi) are
     shown as 210 degrees east of Spain.  Japan is shown midway between
     them.  Only 40 degrees separates New Spain from China!

     Assuming Asia to be relatively close, the Cabrillo Expedition set out
     from New Spain in 1542 with high hopes.  They sought an east-west
     trade route to the Indies along the Pacific coast, which in Central
     American Coast appeared tended toward the west8..   Since China was
     thought to be only 40 degrees to the west it seemed a good gamble9..
     Even after return of the Cabrillo expedition in 1543, which found that
     the coast tended north in California, the belief that China was close
     still persisted.  Now, however, most maps depicted Asia and North
     America to by joined at a latitude of 45 degrees north or greater
     (above the 42 degrees of latitude the expedition reported reaching.)

     This can be seen in both the Callapoda map, and in this map, by Paulo
     Forlani and Bolognini Zaltieri dated to about 1556.  Besides
     continuing the myth that China was relatively close to New Spain, I
     find this map particularly interesting because it clearly portrays
     knowledge of the Cabrillo expedition.  Look closely at the West Coast
     of North America and you will see Cabrillo's place-names applied to
     the West Coast of North America.  The names are in Old Italian:
     P.de.S. Michel for Puerto de San Miguel - Cabrillo's name for San
     Diego.  Galera for Galena - Cabrillo's name for Point Conception; And
     Sierra Nevada - the same name Cabrillo provided for the Coast Ranges
     of California.  Other familiar Cabrillo place-names on the map -
     reports of the Cabrillo's voyage obviously reached the map-makers of
     Europe!

     Not until the Manila Galleons began regularly crossing the North
     Pacific in the late 16th century did Europeans maps begin reflecting
     the true dimensions between Asia and North America. This 1587 map by
     Gerhard Mercator is the first I am aware that began to portray the
     true distances involved in an east-west crossing of the North Pacific.

     Between 1492 and 1542 European explorers foundered on an important
     geographical question - how far is it to Asia from Europe?  Relying on
     classical and Biblical sources, their worldview tended to place Asia
     much farther to the east, and therefore much closer to the west, then
     it actually is.  Because of this, early explorers in the New World
     didn't really known where they were - they were lost.  To Columbus and
     Cabrillo the Asian spice trade always seemed to be just over the
     western horizon.  With this motivation drawing them onward 16th
     century Europeans pushed back the unknown until, at last, they came to
     realize the true dimensions of their world.

     Footnotes:
     1. As you look at the maps, please note that in the early 16th century
     0 degrees of longitude is drawn through the Canary Islands which is 9
     degrees west of 0 degrees on a modern map.
     2. Early in the 15th century the works of Ptolemy and many other
     ancient Greek writings were translated from Greek into Latin by
     Byzantine scholars fleeing the crumbling Byzantine Empire.  This,
     combined with the invention of the movable type printing press, helped
     fuel the Renaissance.  This in turn led to the wide publication of
     maps such as the ones printed in this article.
     3. I have yet to find a historian or geographers authoritative opinion
     of how many miles each Ptolemic degree represents.  Nonetheless, they
     appear to be close in distance to modern maps.  Presumably Ptolemy
     accepted and continued the estimate of Erastathenes (276-196 BC) that
     the earth's circumference is 252,000 stades.  A stade (one stadium
     length) is believed to have been 148 to 158 meters, making
     Erastathenes estimate at about 38,000 kilometers - which was
     remarkably accurate.  The earth's circumference at the equator is
     40,076 kilometers, which is slightly wider than the planet's
     north-south circumference which Erastathenes measured. Erastathenes
     made his estimate by triangulating the shadows created by the sun off
     of statues and in wells at different latitudes, at high-noon, on the
     same day.
     4. Zipango is Marco Polo's mispronunciation of the Chinese word,
     Jih-pAn kuo, meaning "land of the rising sun."  Marco Polo was correct
     that Japan is about 30 degrees from Peking, but it is to the
     north-north east, not east.
     5. Columbus wildly under estimated the distance of a longitudinal
     degree at 28 degrees north latitude to be 62 kilometers  (it is
     actually about 90 kilometers). Columbus' estimated would have made his
     crossing from the Canaries to Japan to be about 4300 kilometers.  No
     Classical or Renaissance scholar believed Japan could be that close.
     Paolo dal Pozzo Toscanelli, using numbers from Greek sources before
     the time of Erastathenes, estimated the distance might be little as
     5200 kilometers and said so in a letter to the Portuguese king Alfonso
     II in 1478.  This letter had a strong influence upon Columbus, but
     Toscanelli's estimate was regarded as foolishly optimistic by most
     contemporary scholars.
     6. They were not, after all, wrong.  Only 48 miles separates Alaska
     and Siberia, but this strait is far to the north and west of their
     projections.  Any view which differed greatly from that of the
     establishment might have drawn the attention of the Inquisition in
     this time period, which may have reinforced the view that modern Korea
     and British Colombia were close together or a single land mass.
     7. Many maps after 1541 depict Mexico City as 115 degrees west of
     Toledo Spain.  This was based, inaccurately, on a scholarly guess.  To
     estimate longitude scholars needed an astrolabe, which they had, and a
     means to know the exact time where they were relative to the point
     from which they were measuring their distance from.  No clock at that
     time could keep accurate time during a ship crossing.  Thus people in
     the America's had to guess how many hours behind Europe they were.  By
     observing two lunar eclipses from both Mexico City and Toledo,
     scholars hoped to calculate the exact time difference between both
     locations.  They calculated wrong and subsequently estimated the
     distance between the two cities as 115.5 degrees.  It is actually 90
     degrees, a difference of 25.5 degrees, which is an error of about 2400
     kilometers!
     8. Compass needles point at magnetic north, not true north.  Most
     early 16th century explorers on the Pacific Coast of the New World
     failed to adjust for this for compass declination error.  This greatly
     influenced maps of the period.  At the tip of Baja California this
     error is 12 degrees, which explains why the first maps of the
     peninsula depict it tending northwest to southeast.  Likewise maps of
     the Pacific Coast of Central America depict it as tending east-west,
     leading to the designation of "South Sea" being applied to the Pacific
     Ocean south of it.  In their minds this east-west orientation helped
     compensate in the northern latitudes for the vast east-west distance
     covered by Magellan in the Southern Pacific.
     9. Careful reading of An Account of the Voyage of Juan Rodriguez
     Cabrillo on page 81 reveals that Bartolom_ Ferrelo, on his second
     attempt to get around Point Conception, sailed "southwest" from the
     Channel Islands about 100 leagues (400 miles) before running north and
     east.  Might he have been looking for Japan?  Maybe, maybe not, but
     interesting to think about.

     Suggested Bibliography:

     Thomas Su«rez's Shedding The Veil  contains an excellent collection of
     world maps from the period and his commentary on how these maps
     evolved is fascinating.  Samuel Eliot Morison's The Great Explorers is
     a good general introduction to the navigational assumptions and
     accomplishments of Columbus and other explorers in this period.  To
     learn more about Cabrillo's place names and for an excellent modern
     translation of the account of this expedition see An Account of the
     Voyage of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, published by The Cabrillo National
     Monument Foundation.