John Carmichael wrote:

> fer j. de vries states:
>
> >So to my opinion the cables on your sundials are styles.
>
> Whereas Patrick says the cable should be called a gnomon.
>
> Why do you do this to me!  If two of the most respected gnomonists of this
> group are in disagreement then I guess I am free to use either definition!
> Maybe we should call Patrick a "gnomonist" and fer a "stylist"!
>
> John Carmichael
> http://www.azstarnet.com/~pappas

Hello John,

I looked in some old English books ( reprints ).

Thomas Fale, Horologiographia, The Art of Dialling, London 1593.
He uses the words Stile and Substile ( with i )

Edmund Gunter, Use of the sector, cross-staffe, and other instruments,
1624.
He uses Style and Substyle ( with y )

But both use the word style or stile for the shadow caster parallel to
the earth's axis.

To confuse you more :
Edmund Gunter, The description and use of His Maiesties dials in
Whit-Hall Garden, 1624.
The most imporatant part of this dial is an horizontal concave dial with
shadow-triangle.
The whole triangle is named : Style.
The edge parallel to the earth's axis is named : Axis of the world.
The edge pointing to the zenith is named       : Axis of the horizon.

Happy dyalling, Fer. ( gnomonist, because with a gnomon I am able to
read all kinds of lines on a sundial and with a style I am restricted to
the suntime, with or without longitude correction. )

--
Fer J. de Vries
[EMAIL PROTECTED]