Hi, it's me again:

Patrick wrote back giving an improved definition of style and gnomon which
covers ALL types of shadow casting objects, not just straight edges, as the
Waugh/Mayall definition seems to do.

>The gnomon is that
>mechanical part of the dial that contains/embodies the shadow casting
>element.  So if you are talking about the shadow casting device as a part
>of the dial it is the gnomon but if you are talking of that part of the
>shadow casting device which at any particular time is responsible for the
>time estimate that you are making then that part is the style at that time.

But Patrick, according to your definition, wouldn't my brass support
structure which holds up the north end of the cable, as well as the
counterweight, be considered to be part of the gnomon?  Or should I call
this part of my sundials " the gnomon support"?  By "mechanical" are you
refering to the movable hinge of the gnomon support structure of my dials?

John Carmichael
http://www.azstarnet.com/~pappas

p.s. Happy EOT=0 tomarrow!