Hello,

        In _Sciothericum Telescopicum or A New Contrivance of Adapting a
Telescope to an Horizontal Dial_ by William Molyneaux, 1686 the words gnomon and
stile are definitely used interchangeably. In chap. III (A Description of the
Instrument) he defines gnomon or double gnomon as he calls it, "as that which
casts the morning shadow from its western edge and the afternoon shadow from its
eastern edge and the noon shadow by its thickens". Then he describes the surface
which the "sighting rulers" of the apparatus travel along, as the stile face or
"some perhaps will call it the back of the Cock". A third name for the same
piece i.e., a polar aligned shadow caster. If there is any clear and universal
distinction between the meaning of gnomon and stile this text doesn't seem to
offer any clues as to what it might be. This reminds me of the adage "The nice
things about standards is that there are so many to choose from".

Regards,

Luke Coletti