Message text written by John Carmichael

>But Patrick, according to your definition, wouldn't my brass support
structure which holds up the north end of the cable, as well as the
counterweight, be considered to be part of the gnomon?  Or should I call
this part of my sundials " the gnomon support"?  By "mechanical" are you
refering to the movable hinge of the gnomon support structure of my dials?
<

You certainly seem to have started something with this discussion!  :-)

No, I wouldn't say that your gnomon tensioner is strictly a part of the
gnomon.  I would certainly refer to it as a gnomon support though. [By way
of justification you could say that if you allowed the support structure at
one end to be considered as a part of the gnomon you might as well say that
the dial plate (which also supports the gnomon) was another part of it... ]

I may have confused you re use of the word 'mechanical'.  I hadn't intended
to imply anything moveable or specifically connected with your dials.  I
was merely trying to express a difference between something which
definitely was a 'physical entity' as opposed to something which may be
physical but which also could be just a concept - like the concept of the
centre of a cable being the style.

In all of these responses I have tried to suggest a spelling or terminology
that is applicable and to my thinking prefeable, today.

On the matter of spelling I personally think that in today's situation and
in dialling, 'Style' is preferable to 'Stile' but that is certainly not to
say that there are other legitimate spellings.  As has already been pointed
out, in older times spelling was very variable and you can find many
examples of alternative spellings (and not just in dialling) in the
writings of 300-400 years ago - often even in the same sentence.  Indeed I
think this is how the different spellings of people's names arose.  Some
diallists today like to use the older terms and spellings and indeed to use
the earlier (often graphical) forms of dial construction rather than use
computers.  There's nothing wrong with either approach at all.  On top of
that there are modern regional differences - like the use of words like
'dialing' in the USA rather than the 'dialling' in the UK.  So I really
think you use whatever spelling you think your audience (or customers)
understand and may prefer - or, in your case, perhaps whatever suits your
marketing 'image'!

On the matter of terminology I think that a similar situation applies.
Once again (and as Fer has rightly pointed out) in early literature you can
find expressions for aspects of dialling that are hard to understand today.
 The use of the word 'analemma' is an excellent example.  However if you
want to go back and use the older meanings of these words then you will
have a much bigger job on your hands getting others to understand than ever
you will with an alternative spelling!

Anyone who has tried to understand a graphical construction or explanation
from the 1600s will know just how much terminology has changed!  [Try
reading William Bourne's description of the problems of using the 'Cross
Staffe' written in 1574!].   You usually have to read the text several
times!  I am not at all surprised that one can find the terms 'Style' and
'Gnomon' used interchangeably in early literature - after all the Greeks
and Romans did so!   I just think it useful to distinguish between them
today so that we can more easily understand what is meant.  In line with
this approach I think of the 'Gnomon' as a physical entity and the 'Style'
as that part of the gnomon which is, at any time, responsible for a
particular time measurement.  It wasn't always so but I think it is useful
today to think so especially as today we are more than ever interested in
precision.

I hope all this helps - and that it isn't too contentious!

Patrick