Fernando, Anthony and other Fellow Dialers

I looked at the Celestaire page describing the Astro Compass and I envy
Anthony that he has one. See for yourself
http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/c_page35.html, it looks impressive. The
new one is really expensive, nearly 300 bucks.

Imagine that when yesterday night I looked for the URL to the page
describing compasses at Celestaire I could not resist the temptation and
generated revenue again for this smart company by ordering the Vion Mini
2000 Compass. Besides marine sextant I bought from them small accessories
like chamois, star finder and few other things. The compass should arrive
in few days. Eh boys, will we ever grow up?

Of other interesting stuff I have an old American sextant for aviators
which I got from my friend who bought it for $25 at swap meet. The specimen
I have is seriously damaged by time and abuse by previous owners. It has
artificial horizon, incredibly complex optical system including 5 prisms
and mechanical device for averaging sightings. Celestaire is still selling
those and in spite of all the prisms and lenses they are below $1000
http://www.celestaire.com/catalog/c_page19.html

Fernando sent me some remarks about practical use of compasses. General
conclusion was that it is not that easy as it may seem after reading a book
on orienteering or navigation. I may confirm this by my own yachting
experience. Basic formulae are simple but you really better know them. And
you need lots of practice too. I remember yachting trainees, University
students at that, who after half an hour or so gave up and could not
determine position by taking and plotting bearings to well visible
lighthouses nearby. They forgot what corrections to apply and how, how to
lay out angles on the chart, add to that sea sickness, sometimes a bit of
fear, and here you are. And during lectures basic navigation was certainly
simple, much simplier than University lectures on maths, physics or
electrical engineering. Then they understood what navigation was really
about, grit their teeth, set to work and all was fine after a time. My own
way was just a little bit easier because I was well prepared for my first
cruise (September or October in the Baltic) and grit my teeth from the very
beginning.

Another heartening conclusion is that this is not that hard that you cannot
learn it.

Slawek

Slawek Grzechnik
32 57.4'N   117 08.8'W