Fernando Cabral wrote:

>At first it came as a suprise to find that different
>compasses will show completely different readings. 2, 3, 5 or even 10 degrees
>east or west are quite common.

In my collection of oddities I have a small compass that may have been
repaired or assembled incorrectly - whatever the cause it points the
wrong way!

Or was it made for the Southern hemisphere?  :-)

Alongside it is a hand-calibrated precision rule from a combination set
by Starrett, a world-famous maker, with one edge calibrated  "10  20  30
40  60  50  70 ..."  Many engineering disasters resulted before someone
spotted it.

Tony Moss