Hi Silas,
         Having faced the same problem of determining a client's remote wall's
declination for some years I've come up with a DIY Kit accompanied by a video.
Essentially it's a precision engineered version of the 'nail-in-a-plank'
method.

 The client sets it up as shown in the video, makes a couple of fine pencil
marks noting the date and exact time then returns the paper and kit to me for
calculation.   Consistently better than 10' or arc which is probably better
than anything achievable by a layman with a magnetic compass.

The 'instrument' (small and not much to look at!) was on show at the last BSS
Annual Conference.

Best Wishes,

Tony Moss

    \                      **         ******
    \\                     **         **
     \\                    **         *******
     *\\                   **              **
      *\\                  *******    *******
      **\\
      ***\\           Tony Moss, Lindisfarne Sundials
     *****\\          43, Windsor Gardens, Bedlington,
    *******\\        Northumberland, England, NE22 5SY,
  **********\\        55°  07'  45" N    1° 35' 38" W
                         Tel/FAX +1670 823232
                         Mobile: 07970 208 540

Horizontal, Vertical, Declining, Analemmatic, Equatorial,
Polar and Capuchin Sundials individually made in solid
engraving brass. Professional-quality Dialling Scales,
'engine-divided' meridian layout instruments with software.
Analemmatic dial plots - any size for any latitude.