Hi Mac,

I have only hearsay evidence, but I'm told, since it has a latitude setting
ring, a declination
setting ring and an hour angle ring, when the eyepiece and prism are removed
and the main
mirror focused on the sun, as observed on a surface placed at it's focal point
the declination
and hour angle can be read off, looked up in a table, and the sun time read off.

BTW, I've been looking at some your designs for Italic hours, very nice, very
appreciated! I
consider you an early charter member of the "Friends of Reversed Italian Hours"
club. ( Well,
if there really is such a thing. ) There are a number of such early charter
members on this list.
Searching the Archive shows a lot of you.

Hmm.  That is also about when I was walking around a barrel, grinding a mirror.

There are patents filed by Porter that are similar, but using a refractor
telescope as found on
 Google Patent with the search "Porter Telescope"

Best Wishes!

Edley McKnight.