  From: Edley McKnight
  To: Mac Oglesby ; Sundial List
  Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:13 AM
  Subject: Re: Russell Porter sundial

  Hello Mac,

  The Patent for Porter's reflecting telescope is available directly from the
patent office's online site at a huge long url, which is too long to type in or
put on a single line.  You can just go to:
  http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html
  and search for telescope in title and porter in inventor, yielding two
patents, one for the refracting, and one for the reflecting one.(having set the
full database period in the selection )
  The early patents are not in full text, but are fully stored in tiff images.
You need a browser plugin for tiff files, AlternaTiff is free and recommended A
link is available on the patent site.

  >From the drawings and description it appears to have a fairly standard
equatorial mount, further when the prism and ocular are removed, the remaining
structure seems sufficient to focus the sun's image on.  Again, the declination
and HA/RA circles can provide the time. There are locking mechanisms on the
declination and latitude rings allowing it to move along the HA/RA circle
alone.

  I'm told there is a 38 page manual that came with the device that included
look up tables, but I've not seen it.

  BTW If anyone has an equatorial mount that is not in use then mounting a
mark/extinction pair of tubes or a full 5 set with 4 extinction tubes offset in
pairs to both declination and HA/RA could provide a safe sundial application
for it.

  Accurate RA/HA and declination are available from a number of software
programs, some free and a number that are low cost.  The U.S. Naval Observatory
still has ICE (Interactive Computer Ephemeris ) working for free and MICA (
Multiyear Interactive Computer Almanac ) for a low price.

  I hope this helps!

  Edley.