Dear Sundialers,

Thanks to a number of you good folks inputs on methods of retreiving patents,
here is a
tinyurl address for the first page of Russell Porter's patent on the Reflecting
Telescope.
http://tinyurl.com/23w6gy
If you do not see the first page of the patent with it's drawing you will need
to install a tiff
viewing plugin for your browser.  Clicking on the small red help will take you
to a page you
can download it from.  Again, I prefer Alternatiff as it is free, has been
recommended by the
patent office the longest, works very quickly, clicks and drags to magnify and
works with all
three of my most used browsers.  I also prefer using it over downloading pdf
files for most
purposes as I can look at the first page of many patents and thus make sure I
have the ones
I'm seeking, then download them as pdf's if I want to keep them.  Doing
extensive patent
searches is much easier ( for me ) this way.  Your experience may differ.

Also, in looking up references through Google books from around the time this
garden
telescope was being sold, I ran into many oblique statements and quotes that
indicated that
it's use was like a garden sundial, but only in it's ornamental purpose, not
functionally as a
sundial.  Being addicted to sundials, my first thought when I see something is
"how would
that work as a sundial?"  I apologize for getting carried away!

Enjoy the Light!

Edley McKnight