Hello Mac,

The Patent for Porter's reflecting telescope is available directly from the
patent office's online
site at a huge long url, which is too long to type in or put on a single line.
You can just go to:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html
and search for telescope in title and porter in inventor, yielding two patents,
one for the
refracting, and one for the reflecting one.(having set the full database period
in the selection )
The early patents are not in full text, but are fully stored in tiff images.
You need a browser
plugin for tiff files, AlternaTiff is free and recommended A link is available
on the patent site.

>From the drawings and description it appears to have a fairly standard
>equatorial mount,
further when the prism and ocular are removed, the remaining structure seems
sufficient to
focus the sun's image on.  Again, the declination and HA/RA circles can provide
the time.
There are locking mechanisms on the declination and latitude rings allowing it
to move along
the HA/RA circle alone.

I'm told there is a 38 page manual that came with the device that included look
up tables, but
I've not seen it.

BTW If anyone has an equatorial mount that is not in use then mounting a
mark/extinction
pair of tubes or a full 5 set with 4 extinction tubes offset in pairs to both
declination and
HA/RA could provide a safe sundial application for it.

Accurate RA/HA and declination are available from a number of software
programs, some
free and a number that are low cost.  The U.S. Naval Observatory still has ICE
(Interactive
Computer Ephemeris ) working for free and MICA ( Multiyear Interactive Computer
Almanac
) for a low price.

I hope this helps!

Edley.