Hi Frank--

Thanks for the thorough and complete explanation about conic-sections for
declination-lines for flat-dials.

Yes, but I want to be able to explain the actual numerical calculation of
the declination-lines to someone.  ...to explain the derivation of the
actual formulas for the hour-lines and declination-lines.

The Horizontal-Dial's hour-lines are easily and briefly explained, but I
don't know of as easy an explanation for its declination-lines.

I like what you said, but it would mean explaining 3-dimensional analytic
geometry to someone, if you wanted two tell them exactly how the
line-forumulas are derived.

...not that the other derivations are any easier.

But thanks for a remarkably clear, thorough and complete description and
explanation of the conic-section nature of the declination-lines for a
Flat-Dial.

Equatorial Dials (disk, band, or cylinder) are of course the one whose hour
and declination-lines don't need explanation (well maybe a tiny bit for the
declination lines--but minimal).

Next is the Polar-Dial, and then maybe the Tube-Dial.  But a
Horizontal-Dial, while the most easily-built stationary-dial, has
difficultly-explained declination-lines, if you want to tell someone in
detail the derivation of the formulas.

If you don't use declination-lines, or are willing to not explain them,
then a Horizontal iBsut my favsorite is the Cylinder-Equatorial. . .