I've heard that dialists traditionally disregard atmospheric-refraction,
when calculating sunrise an sunset times. That allows the use of
spherical-trigonometry's tangent-formula, instead of the altitude-formula,
a co-ordinate-transformation.

But the orrery derivation of the altitude-formula seems just as easy as the
derivation of spherical-trigonometry's tangent-formula.  In fact, the
orrery-derivations of the alt and az formulas seem, to me, easier.
...even though those formulas are larger than the tangent-formula.

The tangent formula, being briefer, involves less arithmetic, but the
orrery derivation of the alt and az formulas seem more naturally and easily
explained.

------------------------

By the way, though I'd explain declination-line construction by the
altitude-method, there might be advantage in calculating it by the
trig-at-the-dial method. For one thing, the alt & az formulas can have
subtraction, which can cause a loss of significant digits (which would only
rarely matter, with today's many-digits machines).

Also, if you want the measurement to be straightforward, instead of looking
for the point on the hour line that's the right distance from the sub-nodus
point, which isn't on the hour-lline, then you'd need to calculate the
solar altitude and azimuth both.  That, and the conversion to rectangular
co-ordinates, and then a little work with those co-ordinates, probably
amounts to a bit more arithmetic than the trig-at-the-dial method.

48 Tu
Novembeer 19th
1524 UTC
Michael Ossipoff