When I listed trig, in my previous message, I was referring to the fact
that there's a 3rd derivation-approach that applies plane trig at the dial
itself (but of course not just on the horizontal-plane).

With any one of those 3 derivation-approaches, it would be necessary to
explain either some 3-dimensional analytic-geometry; or the derivation of
at least the formula for altitude (or maybe azimuth too) from h and dec; or
trig for the solving of triangles.

The trig needed for deriving the altitude and azimuth formulas consists
only of direct use of the definitions of the trig functions, whereas the
trig-at-the-dial derivation involves several plane triangles, and the
solution of a non-right triangle...meaning that the person you're
explaining to would have to hear about more trig than that required for
deriving the altitude-formula.

The altitude and azimuth formulas can be directly and straighforwardly
derived by applying the definitions of the trig functions to an orrery.
...for a brief and straightforward derivation that would make sense to
anyone with no prior experience in the subject.