Rufus wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:
fel wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:16:19 -0800, Rufus<n...@home.com>   in
mozilla.support.seamonkey wrote:

I understand the risks involved with fooling around with about:config if
one doesn't know what one is doing...workarounds are fine for
experienced users, but not for the masses.

Absolutely.  Us masses just make our changes directly in prefs.js.
But seriously,  I wonder just how dumbed down you think that a computer
should be.

A computer is only as smart or dumb as the user.

...your interface should be "dumbed down" to accommodate the "dumbest"
user that you are targeting your product to, or that you expect would
possibly want to try your product.  Simpler is better, useful
instructive information provided is always even better.

What if you grandmother would like to use SM because you recommended it?
   Or your 3rd grade aged nephew?

You'd have more trouble with the Grandma than the 3 or 4 year old.
I worked for a school system system as a Audio-Visual Electronics Technician. when computers first came out (TI-88, Commodore 64 and 128, Apple II, Apple IIe, Winn 286, 386, Epson Equity, IBM PS1 and 2.

I found that the Kids took to the computers like ducks to water. while the teachers were scared to even tun the computers on. Often a 5, 6, 7 year old was assigned to turn the computer on and get it running.

one funny incident one of the librarian gave a program Floppy to a Child. the child came back a minute or two later saying teacher need her to come get the computer going. she went and fond that they had a TI-88 which used cartridges. and she had asked for floppy that to go in an Apple IIe and folded it up to put in the slot of the TI-88.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com