Mark Hansen wrote:
On 1/31/2010 12:35 PM, Rufus wrote:
Benoit Renard wrote:
Ray_Net wrote:
I don't understand why people complains about installing SM as a browser-only. If they don't want the mail or the news parts in SM, they can use their preferred ones.
The problem with 2.0.x is that you can't opt out of an e-mail client, and this meant that mailto: links will open up in SeaMonkey's e-mail client instead of their separate e-mail client.

It takes non-trivial fiddling with 'hidden' preferences to correct this.
It's actually pretty easy on a Mac, and I'd think it's be just as easy on a PC...on a Mac, I can set my default Mail handler to Mail.app, and then set SM to open the browser only on startup...which is what I do.

So SM Mail/News doesn't open unless I specifically open it; and I use the SM Mail/News client within the suite to serve newsgroups.

The other thing I do is to set SM to "leave messages on server" - which I also do with all other machines in my arsenal except my Intel iMac, which is my primary machine. That way, I can roam with my laptop, or use any mail client I wish and still have access to messages when I get home and store them in a central location before deleting them.

More of a strategy to employ rather than any need to change SM, IMO. Any platform ought to be able to use this strategy I'd think.

So if you have a mailto link viewed in the Seamonkey browser, you can
click on it and it opens your non-Seamonkey e-mail client? If not, then
re-read what Benoit wrote.

No - each operates within it's own app, but I should think that would be what the user would desire, right? I get what Benoit is saying, but I was thinking there's also a bit more to what he's saying...

Using my strategy though, any reply to the Sent message is available to both clients, other than for newsgroups because they don't go to/through my incoming Mail server.

--
     - Rufus