In <news:ykudntlrs7kqrpbwnz2dnuvz_oedn...@mozilla.org>,
Rufus <n...@home.com> wrote:

> Philip Chee wrote:
> > On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:42:17 -0800, Rufus wrote:
> >
> >> ... but that's something you're going to have to explain to me -
> >> all this "hired" vs "volunteer" stuff.  Who's who, and how are
> >> they doing what?
> >
> > http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/about/staff/
> > http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/about/board/
> > http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/about/
> >
> > Momo All-Hands 2009 (Meeting of Mozilla Messaging employees in
> > Vancouver, BC, Canada in August 2009)
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhirlimann/sets/72157622051379888/
>
> ...how do they make money?..just what is it that they sell?
> Advertising?..donations?..

Phil gave you links to read.

> >> Seeing as all these apps are free, I've been assuming that
> >> everyone is a "volunteer".  So, just who is paying the "hired
> >> guns", how do they make enough money on a free product to get
> >> paid, and just why and what keeps it all free?
> >
> > Dude, never heard of google?
> >
> > State of Mozilla and 2008 Financial Statements
> > http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/11/19/state-of-mozilla-and-2008/
> >
> > Checking in on Mozilla's Financial Health
> > http://ostatic.org/blog/checking-in-on-mozillas-financial-health
> >
> > Much of the money Mozilla makes in profit comes from a Google
> > search deal.
> > http://www.itpro.co.uk/617977/mozilla-reliant-on-google-for-cash
> >
> > Mozilla: Still too dependent on Google for revenue; Can it
> > diversify? http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=27670
>
> I thought Mozilla was a open source project...did that stop?

No.

> ..which was why I though everybody doing this stuff (other than Apple
> with Safari) were "volunteers"...

Safari isn't open source, but large parts of it are.  People get paid
to work on lots of F/LOSS projects.

> ...ok, so now we're lead back to "code sharing" and "conspiracy
> theories"...which is it?

How do we keep getting back here?  I can't tell what conspiracy
theories you're talking about.

> Mozilla "belongs" to Google?  Or gets paid by them just because you
> can navigate to Google with them?  I still don't get it.

Philip gave you links to read.

> I remember that the only add-on I've put into SM was to make Google
> my default search engine...so somebody got paid and it's built in now?

AFAIK, SeaMonkey doesn't generate any revenue.  Remember that what
kicked off this part of the thread was Phil noting that SeaMonkey team
cannot afford to hire people.

--
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /