I want to make it clear at the beginning of this message that I tend to be reluctant to change (i.e., learning how to do things differently). I am also a person who likes to keep my world as simple as possible (getting too old to learn new tricks all of the time). I also have limited technical skills to fix problems, when they are encountered. Now, with all of that said, I will proceed with my request for help, guidance, or for any applicable comments sent my way.

I continue to use SeaMonkey version 1.1.8. I have it working like an old shoe. It is doing everything I want it to do, and I understand it fairly well. I know that a day is coming when this version will become limited in accessing some web sites. Thus, I am contemplating installing the latest version of SeaMonkey on my system. I want to continue to use my old 1.1.8 version as my primary, while I make an effort to learn the latest version of SeaMonkey. I understand that I can have both on my system simultaneously without one interfering with the other. I believe I can set the new version up without transferring my address book, bookmarks, mail, etc. to the newer version. Yes, I know that I will have to establish a new profile for the new version.

Is there anything incorrect about what I have said to this point?

Someday, I hope to feel comfortable enough with the new version that I will want to make it my primary. This is where I am not sure of the steps I will be required to take at that time. In my mind, I think I will remove (via add/remove) the new version from my system along with its associated profile. I will then add the new version back to my system and let it move my profile, address book, bookmarks, messages, etc from the 1.1.8 version to the new version.

How am I doing with my thinking? Is there a better or easier way of accomplishing this task?

I suppose I could leave both old and new versions of this software on my system permanently. I would then simply start downloading my messages to the new version and in time it would by default become my primary version. In time, I could then remove the old version and its associated profile.

What happens when two profiles are active on the same computer?

Will it ask each time SeaMonkey is opened for the profile to use?

I am guessing that each version will have its own ICON on my desktop and it will open the correct profile for that ICON--is that correct?

If I move from the old to new version, leaving both on my system, is there a way to copy the bookmarks, address book, messages, etc. to the new version? If so, how is this accomplished? What specific files get copied in the old version and where are they placed in the new version?

As I said in earlier correspondence, I have concerns about my being able to make the new version of SeaMonkey work properly. I continue to hear of individuals on this group having problems with the new version. I also am hearing more and more people raving about the new version. I know that I can always find help here, if something goes wrong along the way.

Thanks for hearing me out and for any help/comments/suggestions sent my way on this subject.

Frog